Thursday, November 4, 2010

That had to hurt... - 1819

Middlebury, Vermont, Aug. 4.

"On Monday the 25th ult. about 2 o'clock, P. M. the house of Mr. john Hunt, in Shoreham, was struck by lightning, and the chimney and the upper part of the house considerably injured. The flash struck a young lady, who was in the upper part of the house, and ran down to her feet; and in its course, melted a string of gold beads which she had around her neck, burst her stockings and shoe, and set the lining of her shoe on fire. She was taken up perfectly senseless, in which situation she remained about ten hours, before she recovered. A Mrs. Cook, who was on a visit at the house, and who was standing near the door, with an infant in her arms, and another small child by her side, who was also knocked down, but was not materially injured - the children escaped unhurt."

Date: August 14, 1819
Location: Pennsylvania
Paper: Berks and Schuylkill Journal

For more stories about Middlebury and the ancestors who lived there, visit Middlebury, Addison, Vermont

No comments: